- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 1 sprig oregano, leaves removed
- 5 to 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add pumpkin, yellow onion, leek, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Stir and saute for about 2 minutes, then add in herbs, broth, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft and fork-tender.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaf. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Can also be done in batches with a standing mixer, just allow soup to cool for a few minutes before using that method.
- Stir in full-fat coconut milk, and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve garnished with a splash of coconut milk.