Meet Dr. Carri Drzyzga on today’s Couch Talk.
Just in time for the holidays! How do you fight back from FATIGUE and Reclaim your ENERGY?
Ah, the good, bad, ugly and beautiful about the holidays.
So much stress this time of year. So how do you go from feeling stressed to feeling blessed?
In my interview today on Couch Talk I spoke with Dr. Carri Drzyzga about the root causes of stress, how we can keep our “reserves” full over the holidays, and all about pyroluria, a social anxiety condition.
Dr. Carri discussed the root causes of stress as being:
· Mental, emotional, relational (separation or divorce being prime issues)
· Positive stresses (we do have many positive stresses, like proposing to our partner!)
· Physiological and internal stressors
· Infections, parasites, and mold toxicity
· Inflammatory foods and food sensitivities
· Blood sugar imbalancesAnd key fatigue factors include: anemia and thyroid problems, cortisol and blood sugar imbalances, vitamin deficiencies and chronic infections.
We need to practice filling our “reserves” for the holiday! We must find ways to create resilience that will carry us through the stressful holiday season, and we need to keep our oxytocin tank full!
· Gratitude journaling
· Meditation and exercise
· Framing our thoughts toward the positive. “I get to” versus “I have to”We also discussed pyroluria, which is a social anxiety condition that makes people feel anxious or tense, and irritable; as well as feel a lot of inner worry. Have you heard of it? During the holidays, with all of the family gatherings and holiday parties, people with this condition clearly can suffer even more. Experts feel that pyroluria’s emotional and physical symptoms are caused by deficiencies of vitamin B6 and zinc.
Dr. Carri spoke of her treatment plan, which is 50 mg zinc per day, and 100 mg of B6 (P5P) daily. Perhaps adding Evening Primrose Oil and Magnesium if no improvement is seen. You can download a questionnaire to help self-evaluate yourself for pyroluria. The questionnaire was developed by another good friend of mine, Trudy Scott.
(Trudy is a Certified Nutritionist and is the founder of www.everywomanover29.com, a thriving nutrition practice with a focus on food, mood and women’s health)
Dr. Carri also reviewed key nutrients that can help support us through the holidays (and that we likely have in our medicine cabinet already):
· Zinc, B6 (P5P) 100 mg, Magnesium chelate
· SereneX (an herbal Xanax!)
· Vitamin D 5000IU daily + K2 500u (Vitamin D Supreme)
· Vitamin C 4000mg
Dr. Carri Drzyzga (Driz’ ga) is a chiropractor and naturopathic doctor, host of the popular podcast “The Functional Medicine Radio Show”, and author of the hit book, Reclaim Your Energy and Feel Normal Again! Fixing the Root Cause of Your Fatigue with Natural Treatments. Dr. Carri is creator of Entrepreneurial Fatigue: How to Fuel Your Brain & Body for Entrepreneurial Success. Her private practice is Functional Medicine Ontario located in Ottawa, Ontario.
You can purchase Dr. Carri’s book here!