On today’s Couch Talk I had a great interview with a very dear friend – and amazing holistic practitioner – Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo.
She is the first functional doctor I ever followed and I have been on her newsletter list ever since I first heard of her. She is so knowledgeable and I learn something from her every time we talk. I also love that we both abide by the mantra that people need to “test…and not guess!” relating to their health.
In our interview, Dr. Ritamarie shares life-saving information about the importance of blood glucose testing and how people can easily get a handle on their own blood sugar levels. All you need is a $15 dollar glucose meter from the drugstore and you can do it yourself!
Her message to all of you is that you need to do this now…BEFORE you are diagnosed with serious issues such as diabetes or heart disease.
Here are a few of the points we discussed:
- People need to test themselves and know their baseline numbers for blood glucose levels and A1C. They can’t continue to wait until after decades of inflammation and damage has been done.
- Too many people are walking around with “pre-insulin resistance”, and why that is a walking time bomb for people’s health.
- She sees phenomenal results in her patients when they monitor their blood sugar levels.
- Hidden sugar is enemy #1 and it is in just about everything (do we really need sugar in tomato sauce or in our supposedly healthy salad dressing?).
- The problem with hidden sugar is it isn’t contained in a healthy “package”. As opposed to something like the natural sugar in broccoli. That veggie “package” contains phytonutrients and fiber (with the natural sugar)…those combine to facilitate a slow drip of sugar that gets into our cells in a very balanced fashion… Versus, eating a donut, where there isn’t a healthy overall “package” so the sugar just hits all at once causing insulin spikes and inflammation.
- What is the target Hemoglobin A1C and fasting blood sugar measure you should be looking to see as ideal? When should you be worried? How can you use companies such as DirectLabs.com to test yourself?
- What are the 5 elements of Dr. Ritamarie’s 30 day metabolic reset plan?
- Glucose testing. Determine trigger foods for the individual, as well as remove typical known trigger foods.
- Timing of meals – How to optimize Ghrelin production to burn fat and produce growth hormone! (Spacing 4-6 hrs, longer if you can…no grazing all day!)
- Exercise: Why it is easy to incorporate burst training into your day, 4-8 times a day…and how great it is for your blood sugar and gaining back insulin sensitivity.
- Sleep – has an enormous impact on blood sugar and insulin resistance.
- Stress – why sitting around stewing is the worst kind of stress.
Oh…and if you’ve ever seen Dr. Ritamarie you know she is a lean, mean fighting machine (or is the better analogy the energizer bunny?). Dr. Ritamarie definitely walks her talk! She did 62 pushups to celebrate her recent birthday (Guess how old she is, you won’t believe it!)…and can do as many as 100 pushups!
“I want what she’s having!”
I hope you will enjoy this informative interview…and Dr. Ritamarie has a wonderful gift for you, a series of informative videos that you can watch for free. These videos focus on why you need to do self-testing to lower your blood glucose levels…and the lifestyle changes you can make to find your own unique healthy level, something she calls your “Sweetspot!”
About Dr. Ritamarie
Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo, the founder of the Institute of Nutritional Endocrinology, is passionately committed to transforming exhausted high achievers all over the globe into high energy people who love their lives and live to their full potential.
As a Doctor of Chiropractic with Certifications in Acupuncture, Nutrition, Herbal Medicine and HeartMath®, she’s also a certified living foods chef, instructor, and coach and has trained and certified hundreds of others in the art of living foods.
A bestselling author, speaker, and internationally recognized nutrition and hormone health authority, Dr. Ritamarie combines the ancient healing wisdom of whole, fresh foods and herbs with modern scientific research to inspire people everywhere to recharge their energy and reclaim their lives.
Dr. Ritamarie offers online courses, long distance coaching and counseling, as well as in-person classes and hands-on healing methodology.